Becoming college ready is a process that takes time and dedication. Being college ready means having the academic background and knowing how to be an effective student. These skills are ones you will need to succeed in college, wherever you choose to attend.
Right now, college may seem distant, but if you understand the application process and plan ahead, you will be positioned to present your “best self” to college admissions when the time comes. Begin by:
- Identifying your strengths and weaknesses
- Setting goals
- Committing to working diligently
- Being open minded
- Trying new things
Meet with your guidance counselor to become acquainted. The better your counselor knows you, the more effective they can be in helping you to navigate your way. Things you may want to talk about with your counselor include:
- Planning your academic path, including the courses you hope to take
- Choosing extracurricular activities, both in and out of school
- Any specific needs you may have including testing accommodations, the need for a quiet study space and/or extra help with course work
- Standardized testing and whether to test or not
Really, what’s best to keep in mind is to take ownership of your high school experience. Ask for help when you need it but remember that ultimately, you are the one responsible for making sure you are college ready.