FAFSA(Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be completed by all students who want to be considered for need-based and non-need-based federal and state aid programs. Seniors who plan to begin college in 2020 should fill out the FAFSA starting today, October 1, 2019.
There are three ways to complete the FAFSA:
Online FAFSA requires you create your account on FAFSA on the Web and then login. Students and parents should apply for their own individual PINs to use as their signature. Don’t forget to jot down your PINs now for easy reference later, as you will need your pin number to reapply each year. When you submit your FAFSA online, print out the confirmation page and file it in a safe place.
PDF FAFSA is an application which can be printed and filled out by hand or completed on the screen and then printed. Either way, you will need to mail the form. Save a copy for your records.
Paper FAFSA forms can be requested by calling 800.433.3243 and then mailed. Save a copy for your files.
There are many resources available to help you complete your FAFSA:
- Call the FAFSA hotline at 800.433.3243 to speak with a customer service representative or chat live online with a customer service rep.
- Use the FAFSA on the Web Worksheets to help you get organized.
- Get help filling out your FAFSA from NerdScholar.
Please note deadlines for the FAFSA differ from school to school. The important thing to note is that the earlier you send in your application, the sooner it will be reviewed and the more money there may be available.
CSS/Fincial Aid PROFILE is used to apply online for non-federal financial aid (grants and scholarships) from almost 400 colleges, universities, professional schools, and scholarship programs. This application is distributed by College Board, so if you already have a College Board account, you can use your user name and password for the CSS/PROFILE as well. You may complete the CSS /Profile as early as Oct. 1, 2019 and submit no later than two weeks before the earliest priority filing date specified by your colleges.
- For the 2020-2021 scholastic year, the fee for the initial application to a single college or university is $25 and $16.00 per each additional college. Based on your responses, College Board will determine if you are eligible for a fee waiver.
- Once you register, detailed instructions are provided as you complete the PROFILE. An online Help Desk, including Frequently Asked Questions, is also available to answer questions.
- You can contact customer support at 844.202.0524 (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time, with extended hours from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., January through April) or email email@example.com.
- Deadlines vary from school to school. Check your colleges’ financial aid application deadlines to make sure your application is submitted on time.
- You will need to reapply each year. If you use the same account, parts of your application will automatically fill.