Once school is out for summer and your time is freed up from classroom and extracurricular commitments, put together a test prep plan to prepare for the ACT, SAT or SAT IIs, if you’re planning to take one or more.
Begin by choosing the test that’s best for you. There are differences between the SAT and the ACT, including the format, material being tested and scoring. Students often find one test is more or less challenging than the other.
To get your best score possible, develop a personal test taking strategy. The best way to do this is to get comfortable with the test format and learn how to pace yourself and manage your timing. Take as many practice tests as you can in a quiet place without distractions, and with a timer set, to simulate the real test conditions.
Regardless of how you plan to prepare — on your own, in a group class or with a tutor, be sure to take advantage of the many free tests available through the resources listed below.
- College Board offers free official online SAT practice tests. Your answers will be scored at the end of your test, and there’s a timer to help keep you on track.
- College Boards also offers free paper practice tests which you can download and print. These tests give you the chance to get comfortable filing in the grids as you will under real test conditions.
- Use College Board’s daily practice app which has daily practice questions.
- Test prep companies, including Kaplan, The Princeton Review and Peterson’s offer free practice tests, both online and at their test centers. You’ll be required to register and provide your contact information to have access to the tests.
- ACT Academy is a free online test practice program
- Sample ACT practice questions in English, Math, Reading, Science and Writing.
- Sign up for The ACT Question of the Day.
- Register for free online and onsite practice tests with Kaplan, The Princeton Review and Peterson’s.
- Check out McGraw Hill’s interactive online ACT test prep center which offers two complete practice tests with explanations. Prep videos and other resources are also available on this site.