With acceptance letters and financial aid offers out, seniors, you and your families may now need to consider whether making a financial aid appeal prior to the May 1st decision deadline is necessary. Many colleges are open to increasing the amount of aid they offer.
Considerations to keep in mind when making an appeal to financial aid officers include:
- If your family’s financial circumstances have changed since you filled out your FAFSA that can help to make a credible appeal.
- If you have multiple admission offers, you can use that as a bargaining tool in your favor.
- If you may have received a more generous offer from another school, share that with the school you prefer.
- If you have a unique talent or skill or belong to a specific demographic group bring this to the attention of your financial aid officer when making your appeal.
- If you have very strong grades and test scores that may be a bargaining chip in your favor.
- Wait as close as possible to the May 1st response date to submit your decision, to ensure you have received all of your final financial aid offers.