Now that January 1st has passed, it’s time to turn your attention to financial aid. Seniors, you are now eligible to complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The FAFSA must be completed by all students who want to be considered for need-based and non-need-based federal and state aid programs.
There are three ways to complete the FAFSA:
- Online FAFSA, which requires a student PIN. Parents should also apply for a PIN to use as their signature for the online FAFSA. Don’t forget to jot down your PINs now for easy reference later. When you submit your FAFSA online, print out the confirmation page and file it in a safe place.
- PDF FAFSA, which can be printed and filled out by hand or completed on the screen and then printed. Either way, you will mail the form to file, and save a copy for your records.
- Paper FAFSA forms can be requested by calling 800.433.3243 and then mailed in to submit. Save a copy for your files.
There are many resources available to help you complete your FAFSA:
- Call the FAFSA hotline at 800.433.3243 to speak with a customer service representative or chat live online with a customer service rep.
- Use the FAFSA on the Web Worksheets to help you get organized.
- Get help filling out your FAFSA from NerdScholar.
Please note deadlines for the FAFSA differ from school to school. But, don’t delay— the earlier your application is reviewed, the more money there may be available.