Juniors, it’s college fair season. College fairs offer you the opportunity to meet with admissions reps from a broad range of schools in your own neighborhood or nearby.
- Research college fairs in your area. Look online at the National Association for College Admission Counseling spring schedule. New York State Higher Education Services Corp also has a spring fair agenda. Your school district or high school may have their own fairs planned. Check with your guidance counselor for a complete schedule.
- Register for NACAC fairs online prior to the fair and avoid the lines when you arrive. You will be asked to enter your contact info, academic interests, high school and graduation year. You’ll receive your own barcode to print and take to the fair. By scanning your code, college reps will be able to read your information and eliminate the need for you to fill out individual information cards at each booth.
- Get ready for the fair. Find out which schools will be participating. Take the time to go through the list and decide which schools you’d like to visit with at the fair.
- Prepare to meet with college reps by having a few questions or talking points ready. Ask questions that are school specific and can’t easily be answered by looking at the website. Don’t forget to ask for business cards after your conversations.
- Follow up with reps. Send an email with any additional questions you have. Also, you may want to send a thank you if you felt you had a meaningful conversation with any particular rep.